Friday, March 28, 2014

Mum's Birthday+Fried Rice

Hey guys! Sorry for not updating my blog for a long time! I planned to update every week but my assignments kept me from doing so (AGAIN?)

Plus, since my laptop is under repair, I am currently using my old laptop and I cannot type in Chinese as usual. Here it is... a post in the English language. Well, I need to brush up my writing skills in English, really.

After the TITAS (Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia, i.e. Islamic and Asian Civilisation) essay, I can finally take a break as all that are left are revision and of course, hobbies! I cannot bear not being able to enjoy my hobbies during the holidays, and almost ALL my previous holidays were that glum: wake up, breakfast, assignments, exercise, lunch, housework, assignments, exercise, dinner, assignments, sleep. HOW DARN MONOTONOUS IT IS!!!

Oh yea, today is a special day indeed because my mum turns 47 today! Unfortunately I cannot think of  decent gift for her, so instead I opted to prepare lunch for two people using anything that can be found in the fridge. My dad is working and my sister has had late breakfast, so I fried some rice for my mum and me.

Shhh... Don't tell her that as she wanted me to eat them ALL!

This is my second time cooking all by myself. Repeat after me: ALL BY MYSELF. I cooked without my mum beside me for the second time ever, yay!

Hey, cooking by oneself shouldn't be really a big deal for a late adolescent, huh? Considering my recklessness and goofiness in the kitchen, it was still an accomplishment for me, at least a small one.

My fried rice ingredients are as follows:


  • Leftover rice
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 egg (my mum considers egg as a MUST in every single fried rice dish)
  • some cabbage leaves, shredded
  • 1/3 of a tomato
  • 5 okra
  • 4 french beans
  • Some lime leaves (I don't know what to call them exactly)
  • an onion
  • some vegetarian belacan sauce
  • some soy sauce


In fact, my mum usually uses cooking oil and garlic rather than my butter and onion. Probably this is because I have a fetish for butter? To me, butter upgrades EVERY SINGLE food. I love butter, onion and garlic in everything but I doubt garlic goes well with butter.

Here are the final products!


Two plates of East-meets-West fried rice. 
The Eastern components are the belacan sauce and the method (stir-frying the rice; this originates from Indonesia).
The Western components are the butter and onion. Mum usually uses them for cooking pasta. 
As for the rest, well, I have no idea how to classify them because they are vegetables. Duh.

Mine! I always choose the small portion...

Mum's.

I find my rice quite rich but not too salty. I think this is a better version than my previous attempt a couple of years back, which was gross (Oil overload). When I served the rice to my mum, she first commented that the rice was Indian-tasting, then the vegetables were too big, but it was satisfactory. Sorry mum for not being able to cook a decent fried rice.

Well, this food-fiasco serves a reminder for me to divide my priorities wisely! I should have spent my late evenings cooking in the kitchen rather than working out-or yes, I should work-out earlier since I need to have some exercise to burn off the tasty treats at home.

Plus, I would have halved the time for food preparation and save my mum from prolonged bodily aches.


Happy Birthday mum and thank you for teaching me the joy of cooking and advising me on life matters, as I am about to break from my adolescent cocoon into a butterfly. I promise to mature quickly and organize my responsibilities as an adult.


No comments:

:) :( ;) :D ;;-) :-/ :x :P :-* =(( :-O X( :7 B-) :-S #:-S 7:) :(( :)) :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B =; :-c :)] ~X( :-h :-t 8-7 I-) 8-| L-) :-a :-$ [-( :O) 8-} 2:-P (:| =P~ :-? #-o =D7 :-SS @-) :^o :-w 7:P 2):) X_X :!! \m/ :-q :-bd ^#(^ :ar!

Post a Comment